2008-09-29

Performance in Noto with Hono Taiko

Sunday marked another milestone in our taiko journey. It has been one year since my first stage performance in Japan. Looking back, I actually find it funny that I called last year's performance in Togi a milestone. Maybe it was more like a step in the right direction than a milestone. Anyhow, on Sunday we (Matto Yume Mitai) traveled to Togi in the Noto Peninsula for a concert with Hono Taiko, Sasuke and Wajima Toranosuke. I remember a year ago I was simply thrilled to be sharing a stage with Hono Taiko. Now, I am still thrilled (and it's an honor), but in the past year, I have been on stage with them several times and the novelty that was there last year has worn off a bit. Still, it's one of those events that makes you realize how far you have come. Last year we were had been practicing taiko at Asano for only about two months and were a part of one group, Matto Bayashi and I had barely learned one, easy song. A year later, we are part of three Asano groups, have learned numerous songs, performed several times and comparing video from a year ago to more recently recorded ones, I can see a great deal of progress. (I can also see that there is still a long way to progress).

Now that the Togi performance is done, we have moved on to focus on our recital on October 13th. This time I will be performing in three groups and Mayumi will be in two.

4 comments:

Dende said...

You guys are the living example of a dream coming true for many many taiko players around a world.

Very good job and keep updating your blog as much as possible!

Following you from Argentina,
Dende

Great Lakes Taiko Center said...

I realize that more and more all the time. I just hope I don't have to "wake up" too soon. Thanks for reading.

Brian

Alwen said...

I thought you'd like to know that I'm giving you the "I love your blog" award. So if you notice a lot of traffic from knitters, that's my fault.

-reading your blog down here in SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan

Great Lakes Taiko Center said...

Thank you Alwen. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. It give me encouragement to keep writing.

 
]